Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Temescal Dish

As a Temescal / Oakland shop owner, I hear all kinds of news about the area. I've recently realized that not everyone hears this stuff so maybe every once in awhile I'll post some Temescal dish on my Ruby's Garden blog.


Today's dish: If you've been to Bakesale Betty for lunch lately, you've probably stood in a line that extended past an empty storefront a couple of doors down from your chicken sandwich destination. Sinan's Windows was there since 1988 and vacated the space several months ago after deciding to consolidate their showroom with their custom factory space on 39th St. in Emeryville.


The building is co-owned by Kesete and Sarita, who own a number of the commercial buildings in Temescal. One morning a couple of weeks ago, I saw Kesete on his way in to his restaurant Asmara so I asked him what was happening with that vacant storefront. He told me someone was nearly signed on but he couldn't tell me who until it was finalized (props to Kesete for his discretion).


So this past weekend I finally heard who was going in: Scream Sorbet, the purveyors of ultra-fresh-fruit-tasting sorbet you've probably sampled at one of the 26 Bay Area farmer's markets they paraticipate in, including our very own Temescal Farmer's Market. Made in their Emeryville kitchen, this Temescal location will mark Scream's first retail storefront and become the latest addition to our version of the Gourmet Ghetto.


How long have I been saying ice cream would do great in our neighborhood? Even before all these Chez Panisse alums came along! I hope Scream proves me right.

No comments:

About

My photo
Oakland, CA, United States
Chronicles of a novice kids' clothing shop owner and mother in the Temescal neighborhood of Oakland. Ruby's Garden Kidwear & Flower Shop rocks my world.